Happy Saturday, bibliophiles!
I keep saying things along the lines of “this week has been low-key…” in my updates and in my journal, fully knowing that it’s the calm before the storm (read: AP tests), but it’s been good to enjoy the calm nonetheless. And if I could get through three AP tests last year, then I can do it this year too. At least they’re all in one week again this time.
Looking back, April was somewhat busy, but it never quite felt that way. Going to three concerts in a month was certainly a plus, however tired I got the day after the second two. I have less than a month left of high school (!!!!) and it certainly feels like things are slowing down…it’s all coming into perspective…
April’s been a great reading month as well! Aside from one DNF at the beginning of the month, I haven’t read anything below two stars. I found some great books in the bunch too, both from new-to-me authors and from tried-and-true authors! A good batch, I think.
Things have been slowing down as far as writing goes; since I shared my WIP, I’ve been in a sort of limbo where I’m not sure what to write next. For now, I’m outlining for said WIP’s sequel, but it’s been…rocky. I forgot how frustrating the beginning stages of outlining can be sometimes. Figuring out the playlist has been fun, though…Other than that, I’ve just been drawing, learning a few new songs on guitar, finishing Raised by Wolves (w h a t) and Severance (season 2 can’t come soon enough), watching Spirited Away, listening to an excess of Wet Leg, Spiritualized, and Jack White, and seeing Spiritualized, Snail Mail, and Ben Folds live. (All three were lots of fun, but Spiritualized was hands down my favorite!!)
READING AND BLOGGING:
I read 18 books this month! I can chalk that one up to several lengthy books that took me longer than usual to read, but that’s okay. Still on track for my goodreads goal of 200—78 books as of now!
1 – 1.75 stars:
- Witches Steeped in Gold – Cannon Smart (DNF – ⭐️)
2 – 2.75 stars:
3 – 3.75 stars:
- Measure for Measure – William Shakespeare (read for school) (⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Seven Devils – Laura Lam and Elizabeth May (⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Warrior of the Wild – Tricia Levenseller (⭐️⭐️⭐️.25)
- She Who Rides the Storm – Caitlyn Sangster (⭐️⭐️⭐️.5)
- Flamefall (The Aurelian Cycle, #2) – Rosaria Munda (⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
- Any Way the Wind Blows (Simon Snow, #3) – Rainbow Rowell (⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
- The Library at Mount Char – Scott Hawkins (⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
- One for All – Lillie Lainoff (⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
4 – 4.75 stars:
- Our Stories Carried Us Here – Tea Rozman Clark et. al. (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) – Martha Wells (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Mexican Gothic – Silvia Moreno-Garcia (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Heartstopper, vol. 3 – Alice Oseman (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- The Chandler Legacies – Abdi Nazemian (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Heartstopper, vol. 4 – Alice Oseman (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- The Weight of Our Sky – Hanna Alkaf (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Extasia – Claire Legrand (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5)
FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH: Extasia – 4.5 stars
SOME POSTS I’M PROUD OF:
- I had fun reviewing One for All, Any Way the Wind Blows, All Systems Red, and Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating!
- I made a list of YA books to introduce younger teens to YA literature!
- I reviewed Spiritualized’s new album Everything Was Beautiful! (Spoiler alert: the album is a m a z i n g )
POSTS FROM OTHER WONDERFUL PEOPLE THAT I ENJOYED:
- Amanda @ Bookish Brews made an amazing post about space opera and recommended some diverse space opera books!
- Rania @ Moonlit Notes wrote a great post about the do’s and don’ts of writing desi representation!
- Bertie made a great lists of fantasy and sci-fi books with autistic characters for Autism Acceptance Month!
- Kate @ Feathered Turtle Press wrote a great review of Black Sun! (glad I’m not the only one who didn’t like the book as much haha)
SONGS/ALBUMS THAT I ENJOYED:
DID I FOLLOW THROUGH ON MY APRIL GOALS?
- Read at least 20 books: 18, but it’s all good.
- Try not to spontaneously combust at the Spiritualized concert if/when they play “Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space”: …well, no “Ladies And Gentlemen,” but nonetheless, I spontaneously combusted. Hands down, one of my favorite concerts I’ve ever been to. Thanks again, J Spaceman!
GOALS FOR MAY:
- Get through the AP tests
- Finish high school strong! (aAAA STILL CAN’T BELIEVE I’M GRADUATING—)
That’s it for this month in blogging! Have a wonderful rest of your day, and take care of yourselves!