Happy Monday, bibliophiles!
February’s been a little chaotic, but again, in comparison to last year, it was a good month. I’m leaving it feeling a little tired, but I’m excited for spring!
I’ve had a lot of studying to do this month…feels like I’ve had a quiz or a test every week to every other week. Yeesh. But at least I can say that I’ve done well on all of them, so I suppose there’s that going for me.
As far as reading goes, I started the month out with a week-long slump, but once I found some better books, the month improved so much! I read a lot of great books for Black History Month and discovered some new authors that I’d love to read more of. I ended up re-reading a little, and it felt lovely to immerse myself back into the Pioneer duology.
Writing-wise, I’m nearly done editing my second draft! I got in lots of good editing time and polished up a whole lot of my WIP. I haven’t been able to write much in the past few days, but we’re getting to short stories in my creative writing class, which I’m super excited about!
But by far, the highlight of the month was getting Ringo, our new corgi puppy! He’s 8 weeks old, and he’s just the SWEETEST LITTLE GUY 😭
READING AND BLOGGING:
I read 21 books this month! More re-reads than I expected (I forgot to connect my Kindle to the wifi while I was away in Florida so I read some of my old books), but a good bunch for the most part. I read a lot of books for Black History Month as well and discovered some new authors!
2 – 2.75 stars:
- Master of Poisons – Andrea Hairston (⭐️⭐️)
- This Is Our Story – Ashley Elston (⭐️⭐️)
- Odd One Out – Nic Stone (⭐️⭐️)
- Cold the Night, Fast the Wolves – Meg Long (⭐️⭐️)
- Beasts of Prey – Ayana Gray (⭐️⭐️.75)
3 – 3.75 stars:
- The Road – Cormac McCarthy (for school) (⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Blackout (anthology) – Dhonielle Clayton et. al. (⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Binti (Binti, #1) – Nnedi Okorafor (⭐️⭐️⭐️.5)
- White Smoke – Tiffany D. Jackson (⭐️⭐️⭐️.5)
- Adulthood Rites (Xenogenesis, #2) – Octavia E. Butler (⭐️⭐️⭐️.5)
- Noor – Nnedi Okorafor (⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
- Home (Binti, #2) – Nnedi Okorafor (⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
4 – 4.75 stars:
- The Grief Keeper – Alexandra Villasante (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Redemptor (Raybearer, #2) – Jordan Ifueko (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Skin of the Sea (Skin of the Sea, #1) – Natasha Bowen (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- A Snake Falls to Earth – Darcie Little Badger (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Devil in the Device (Goddess in the Machine, #2) – Lora Beth Johnson (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1) – Bridget Tyler (re-read) (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
- The Survivor (The Pioneer, #2) – Bridget Tyler (re-read) (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Memento (Illuminae, #0.5) – Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (re-read) (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH (NOT COUNTING RE-READS): Skin of the Sea – 4 stars
SOME POSTS I’M PROUD OF:
- I made another list of YA books for Black History Month!
- Although I had mixed feelings about the album, I had fun reviewing Mitski’s Laurel Hell!
- I also reviewed Spoon’s Lucifer on the Sofa!
- As far as books go, I reviewed Cold the Night, Fast the Wolves, Noor, and Beyond the End of the World!
POSTS I ENJOYED FROM OTHER WONDERFUL PEOPLE:
- Maddie made a list of new releases from Black authors!
- Ashmita also made an amazing list of books for Black History Month!
- Ritz celebrated her 1 year blogiversary! Congratulations!!
- Phoenix made a post about 4 underhyped authors that deserve more attention!
SONGS/ALBUMS I’VE ENJOYED:
DID I FOLLOW THROUGH ON MY FEBRUARY GOALS?
- Make another Black History month list—I’ve read so many amazing books by Black authors since last February!—did that! See “Some posts I’m proud of”
- Review some of the albums that are coming out next month!! (So many!!) rip to Everything Was Beautiful getting pushed back, but both my album reviews from this month can be found under “Some posts I’m proud of”
- Actually post some art here, if I get the time…it’s about time
GOALS FOR MARCH:
- Read at least 20 books
- Spend some time with Ringo (of course)
That’s it for this month in blogging! Have a wonderful rest of your day, and take care of yourselves!